The Not-So-Simple Living Fair is very interactive. We would love for people to participate in ways that include sharing things you do, make, or have. Much of this information is scattered around the website in context, but here it is compiled into one list. Except for the BYO for Zero Waste, these are all just suggestions, of course!
Comfort, Water, and BYO
- Shade hat
- Warm jacket for evenings (it can get chilly)
- Refillable water bottle (no bottled water sold here – free filtered water provided)
- BYO plates, utensils (also available for purchase) — see our Zero-Waste policy for more info)
Share and Participate
- Bring a dish to share to join the Saturday Night Community Pot Luck (Notes: There is no kitchen space available for food preparation. Label your dishes; bring serving spoons, knives, whatever is needed. Utensils will not be available.)
- Bring some thing to trade or barter at the Saturday Barter and Trade Circle
- Bring your homemade preserves to the Preservation Station
- Join in the Friday Night Entertainment with a tuba and a tutu (or other musical instrument and/or costume)
- You are welcome to share your own repurposed or DIY goods at the Creative Reuse Display Area, located at the entrance to the Grove. Contact Valerie Adair at 707 367 2143 for more information.
- Notebook and pen to record great ideas
- Make your own fresh cider: Bring your apples, and something to hold the juice, if you want to press them in the Apple Press that will be at the fair. See the Ongoing Demonstrations tab in the schedule and the full schedule of times at the fair.
- No alcohol is sold at the fair. BYO if you want some, or buy in town
What NOT to Bring
- DOGS – only licensed service dogs are allowed inside the fair. Please contact Lynda McClure if you are bringing one at (707) 895-3243 (before the fair) or (707) 272-0580 (during the fair.) If you are camping and you want to leave your dog in the campgrounds, contact the Mendocino County Fairgrounds for information about reserving space in their RV campground. This is separate from the Not-So-Simple Living Fair but on the same grounds. It must be arranged ahead of time.
- Plastic or other non-compostable waste – this is a Zero-Waste event.